50 STATES FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Various comments on local issues, events, etc. going on in your home town

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Custom Search

Why are homes in America so UGLY?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
EuroGuy

Why are homes in America so UGLY? Vide
PostSubject: Why are homes in America so UGLY?   Why are homes in America so UGLY? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 4:10 am

I don't understand why houses are so ugly and cheap made? I mean, in Europe we use brick and stones to build a house, here they are made out of wood. I was told once it's because it's cheaper to make them out of wood + we have lots of trees. But it seems to me that houses here are more expensive compared to Greece (where i'm from), for example a million dollar home here is not worth that much in Greece. And why not use clay tile roofs? And another thing that bugs me the most, why do they put the garage door in the front? Shouldn't there be the entrance or a large window in the front of the house? Why do they build the houses with entrance on the side and a huge garage door (sometimes 2) in the front? And not only that, a lot of houses that i see have a tree right in front of the entrance, it's like they are doing it on purpose to not show any house other than the garage! Is it a privacy issue? Seems like million dollar homes are built this way, is it that hard to make cheaper homes look nice? And what's the deal with tiny doors? In my country most entrance doors are double, made out of nice wood with glass, here's it's just a wooden door. Is there a reason homes are built this way or do americans have no sense of style? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Beaver Cleaver

Why are homes in America so UGLY? Vide
PostSubject: Re: Why are homes in America so UGLY?   Why are homes in America so UGLY? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:20 pm

why houses are so ugly
>> You must be kidding. The vast majority of housing in Europe is God-awful, tiny, and made without imagination or style. You need to compare apples with apples. Upper end homes in the US can more than hold their own.

and cheap made? I mean, in Europe we use brick and stones to build a house, here they are made out of wood.
>> Another uninformed observation. In certain parts of California, there are earthquakes. Wood is more flexible and can handle tensile stress. For this reason, earthquakes in the US kill very few while everywhere else they kill thousands.
>> Brick is cheap, amigo. New homes of stone in Europe are very expensive as they are here as well.
>> Most middle class homes in Europe are flats or townhomes with shared walls. Most Americans home their own proper SFDs.
>> If you asking why each US home is not solid granite, may I suggest a course in basic economics?

But it seems to me that houses here are more expensive compared to Greece (where i'm from), for example a million dollar home here is not worth that much in Greece.
>> Ayy. Not a university graduate i see. The primary expense of homes is set by the market. Material costs of homes is a small part of the expense. More expensive is labour. In Greece, where the market economy is well down the value chain, labour costs are cheap. In California, construction workers make more than engineers in Greece!

And why not use clay tile roofs?
>> Yikes!! Economics 101 again. Laying tile is labour-intensive, hence expensive.
>> You see in Europe, there is next to no labour mobility. Yours is a rigid economy. Homes are family homes to be passed on through the generations via tax codes which favor heredity. For this reason, class mobility is next to impossible for most Europeans. You, like other Europeans, come to the US for opportunity. But I digress. If you are building for the ages, you have more incentive to spend more money on attributes that are no longer economically sensible.
>> By the way, there are plenty of tiled homes in California, though most are probably out of your price range. My goodness, drive around a bit!

And another thing that bugs me the most, why do they put the garage door in the front?
>> Ayy! You see, in densely populated areas, the house built over the garage creates a smaller footprint. The same class person in Europe does not even have a house or is mamoni. Go higher in wealth, and yes, the garage is off to the side. You do not get out much, do you?

Shouldn't there be the entrance or a large window in the front of the house? Why do they build the houses with entrance on the side and a huge garage door (sometimes 2) in the front?

Jesu Christo, how old are you? See previous answers.

And not only that, a lot of houses that i see have a tree right in front of the entrance, it's like they are doing it on purpose to not show any house other than the garage!

>> Trees good, ignorance bad. US houses are to enjoy. I nice shade tree in front is always pleasant for the home owner.

And what's the deal with tiny doors? In my country most entrance doors are double, made out of nice wood with glass, here's it's just a wooden door.
>> I am now guessing a 22-24 year old Mamoni, welching off of papa's ouzo business.
>> Ye mihijito, the are houses with large doors made of the finest wood and wrought iron...but it is just that you cannot afford them!

Is there a reason homes are built this way or do americans have no sense of style?
>> LOL!! Americans are pragmatic, upwardly mobile and innovative. Hence even with a financial crisis originating in our own country, we will fare better than Europe.
>> The problem here is you are failing to make the appropriate comparisons. You seem to be failing Econ 101 and Finance 101 at the same time! No surprise really, given the wretched nature of the Greek economy.
>> Typical European professional only hopes to own their own land (not inherited), but few do. Scratch that. Brits and Germans are buying up the best of your coasts and living high on the hog with their pension $$--and these are the dumb ones.
>> Wealthy Europeans maintain their family homes (cheap to do so) but send their kids abroad to develop their careers (few new opportunities at home).
>> In the US, tax codes are written for economic dynamism. Economic disincentives to have a family home to be passed through the generations. Private financing of university. Higher opportunity cost for shirking and mamoni.
>> End result is that young Americans starting out, seek convenience and mobility in their choice over housing stock. Wealthy Americans live several notches above that and, given your post, well above your ability to understand.

>> An American buys a hope in Greece to chill. there is little economy to support the lifestyle we are accustomed to.

A final point, Europeans are among the most ignorant people I know. Anybody who has lived in Europe as I have can attest. Racist. Ignorant.Terribly unworldly. And clearly, undereducated. And see a post from a Greek, the most backward and poorest of the EU countries? Are you serious? LOL!! Please...
S
P.S. You gotta love the complaining and illusions toward the old country. You see, once cannot cherry pick residence and all the cool features unless one has the cash. Clearly you do not!
Back to top Go down

Why are homes in America so UGLY?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
50 STATES FORUM :: california -
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com